Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Please review our 5 page brochure, produced by the Taroona Community Association, and be bushfire ready in 2022.

Taroona Book Digitised

Taroona 1808-1986 Farm Lands to a Garden Suburb’, published in 1988 by Taroona Historical Group

 

Copyright

An Important notice about copyright and authors' permission is here

Front matter

Front matter including contents and foreword

Chapter 1- Natural History

Includes Fauna, Flora and Geology

Chapter 11 - Nineteenth Century

Initial Location Orders

Batchelor's Grave

William Sherburd's Farm

Crayfish Point

The Retreat

The Brown's River (Taronga) Probation Station

House Fire Near the Probation Station in 1847

Brown's River Road now the Channel Highway

Coach Service

The Shot Tower

The Grange Horse Trough

Hobart-Huon Railway

The Quarantine Station

Plan of part of Cartwright's Estate (Between 1888-1891)and photographic study showing the growth of the suburb over 160 years, 1880-1986

Chapter 111- Twentieth Century

The Old Public Hall, Light Interludes at the Old Public Hall & Taroona Tea House

Ketch "Olive" Overturned

Early Means of Transport

The Cloudsdale Holiday Cottage & Reminiscences of Holidays at Taroona 1 & 2

Boat Sheds

The 12th Apostle from Maria Island Located at Taroona

The First Bus Shelter& Childhood Reminiscences 1947-1959

The Pilot Line

Experiences of the Tasmanian Bushfire, 1967 (4 authors)

Taroona Today & 3 aerial photographs

Chapter 1V - Houses & Properties

"Acton"and 26 Channel Highway

"The Grange"and"Hillgrove"

"Oakleigh" and "Taroona House" and Crescent

"Wartling" (Later Meath Avenue) and "Winmarleigh"

Chapter V -  Subdivisions

Avalon Subdivision, Belhaven Avenue and Churchill Road

Flinders Esplanade and Grange Subdivision

Illawong Crescent

Monomeath Estate, Nightingale Avenue and Seaview Avenue

Sunnybanks (Oakleigh) Estate

Taronga Subdivision

Winmarleigh Avenue Subdivision and subdivision of land around Winmarleigh House

Chapter V1 -  Churches

The Anglican Church

The Baptist Church

The Roman Catholic Church

The Uniting Church

Chapter V11 - Clubs & Organisations

Apex Club, Brownies,Community Aid Abroad,Country Women's Association

Ex-Servicemen's Club

Girl Guides

The Playgroup,The First Progress Association,Rotary Youth Camp,Scouting

Senior Citizens Club and Stewart Players

String Ensembleand the Theatre Guild

Chapter V111 -  Commercial

The Fanfare Angora Goat Stud

The Hotel

The Little Shop and The Old Shopping Centre

The Poultry Farms

The Shell Service Station

The Village Shopping Centre

Chapter 1X -  Community Services

Child Health Clinic and The Community Playground

Councillors

Fire Brigade

Library Services and Mary's Grange Home for the Aged

Meals on Wheels and Medical Services

The New Community Hall

Recreation and Reserves Committee 1960-1968

Red Cross Society and St. John Ambulance and St. Joseph's Family Support Centre

Telephone Services,Water and Sewerage

Chapter X - Education

Early Education

Pre-School and Kindergarten

The State Primary School

Keith George

The State High School

Chapter X1 -  Families

Bloomer, Bonnitcha, Charlton, Dixon and James Families (1.3 megabytes)

Chapter X11 -  Sport & Recreation

Archers Club & Bowls Club & Diving and Fishing

The Kelvedon Community Street Party & The Soccer Club and Kelvedon Park Soccer Ground

The Swimming Club & The Tennis Club

The Walk along the Alum Cliffs

More Walking Tracks

End matter

Contributors (List of authors with reference to chapter and title) & miscellaneous matter

Index A-Jo

Index Jo-Z